Solved

Run process flows automatically

• 10 March 2019
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13
For a new project we are going to access a third party application through its API system and I am getting familiar with the HTTP connector in process flows. As far as I understand process flows are only ever initiated by users and cannot be run automatically because they live entirely inside the application. They are not stored procedures on the database and thus cannot be scheduled within the database server (SQL Server in our case). Do correct me if I'm wrong here.

I browsed through the IAM production database quickly but I didn't find the process flows there. Where are they stored and is it possible to run them on SQL Server directly? If not then we might have to build procedures with API calls in sql instead. Is that generally advisable or is using certain middleware perhaps a better approach?

One of the reasons we have to be able to automate certain API calls is because they will fill certain tables for local analysis that is not possible or desirable with the remote application.
icon

Best answer by Jasper 14 March 2019, 12:06

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi Roland,

Process flows are currently always executed by the user interfaces. It is not yet possible to start a process flow from the backend. We are, however, working on the development of system flows that can be scheduled and executed autonomously by the Indicium application tier. This feature is expected to become available in Q4 of this year. You can read more about it in the product roadmap.

Whether it is best to use CLR procedures or middleware depends on various things, for example where the database is hosted and whether it is an internal or external service.
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Hi Jasper,

That sounds very good. It's not entirely clear yet how one would go the Indicium route to accomplish autonomous flows but I'm sure this will become clear when the time is there.

For now I'm focusing on actually implementing the http connector. I have an issue with that actually but I'll create a new topic to discuss it.