Solved

Monitor the progress of a process flow

• 3 October 2019
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
We have developed in our application some process flows to support complex functionality that requires the execution of several tasks (including calls to external connectors) in a specific succession and with multiple possible options. It would be nice to be able to provide some feedback to the user about how long it might take before the whole process is finished, something like a progress bar but spanning the whole process from start to end.
At the moment I can't find any option in the SF to enable such a progress bar for process flows. Does anybody know if it is possible and how?
icon

Best answer by Anne Buit 25 October 2019, 14:18

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi Miriam,

This is currenlty not possible, though it would most certainly be a great addition. Please feel free to submit this as an idea in the ideas section.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello @Anne Buit,

Yes, I would like to see the progress while the user is waiting for the process to be completed.

Let's say the process has indeed several branches and that one of the flows goes as follows:
1) Start >> Task A
2) Task B (based on the result of A)
3) an HTTP connector
4) Task C
5) another HTTP connector
6) Task D >> End

The only thing that the user does is fill in the parameters of task A and then he has to wait for the whole process flow to be completed before he can proceed to check the results of task D. I would like to be able to provide him/her with an indication of which action is being executed.
This could be either

• a progress bar like the one available for tasks, its progress based simply on the count of how many steps are defined in the flow from start to end and which step is currently executing
  • a pop-up showing a message like we see in many applications, its text providing information on the task that is active at any given moment
  • or any other way of indicating progress in the execution of the process flow..

Ideally all of the above, and the developer would be able to choose the desired method of indicating progress and configure it to work at best with the rest of application.
I figured the easiest way is the first one, so a progress bar, but I'd like to hear some thoughts of what might work best.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5
Hi Miriam,

I assume you want to see the progress bar for the specific part of the process flow where the user is not in control, while the user is waiting for the system?

There can be branches and circles within this part of the process flow. How would you like to see this visualized as progress? Is this something the developer would have to control, similiar to how this is done when executing a task? Or would you rather like to see an indeterminate progress bar with no actual value?