Solved

add row in grid

• 27 February 2019
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Is is possible to show the add row in a grid at the bottom of the list instead of at the top?
icon

Best answer by Erik Brink 27 February 2019, 15:49

View original

3 replies

Hi Roland,

This is not possible. Placement at the top is a more user-friendly approach for adding because the empty fields can always be related to the grid headers. Placement at the bottom could make this difficult.
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
I understand. I don't think I agree with the user friendliness part but perhaps I should explain myself a bit better. I don't mean I'd like the add bar to be fixed at the very bottom of the grid. Instead I picture it as a part of the list as if it were the last row. So in an empty grid the add row would be at the top and while adding more rows it would move down with the last row. This way when adding a new row the add bar is at the same location as the new row that emerges from its input.

Now perhaps in very large tabs with long lists this could still be confusing for end-users but especially in smaller to very small tabs I think it could work quite nicely.
Userlevel 5
Badge +5
The grid component works this way when row grouping is enabled. The adding row is placed inside the group containing the selected row when the users starts to add a row to the grid. The values the grid is grouped on will be inserted to the added data row directly by the GUI.

Based on the PK and the sorting of the subject you can not predict the location the new record is added to the dataset. That's why we chose a fixed spot to place the adding row of the grid.

On larger datasets we advice you to use grouping as part of the existing sorting on the subject.