Solved

web has no access to the application definition

• 19 April 2019
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Because we want to serve our web application and Indicium under separate subdomains I changed our IIS setup. Both applications are now in separate document roots that are added to IIS as separate websites. Each site now has its own bindings (domain and port number).

The login page of the web application works. However I now get the following error after every login attempt:

There is currently no access to the application definition using the configured settings. Please contact your application manager.

This happens both with Windows domain user accounts and SQL Server accounts.

I don't understand the reason for this error. The ini file hasn't been changed and still contains the right settings for the database server and the database name. Users have write access to the web folder. I followed the deployment guidelines.

What could be the cause of this error? It has worked before this change to a multi site setup.
icon

Best answer by Anne Buit 19 April 2019, 08:29

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5
Hi Roland,

This error will occur when the database pool user cannot log in to the IAM database.

There are various ways to set the pool user credentials, so be sure to check which account is used. The pool user can be found in the web.config (encrypted or plain-text) or the settings.ini file.

If neither of these contain the pool user, the IIS application pool user is used to connect to the IAM database, authenticating as a Windows domain account.

Since the problem was introduced after configuration updates on IIS, I guess the IIS application pool user is used to connect to the IAM database and might have been changed to an account without IAM database access.
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Thank you! That fixed the problem. It was this part in the deployment documentation that got me confused:

Contrary to versions 2018.2 and earlier, the service account should not be created as a user in IAM. The service account only needs full access to all the databases present in IAM, including the IAM database itself.

I set an application pool user that is not in IAM but overlooked whether this user has access to the IAM database at all.