Solved

Images of tasks / filters / resources etc. visible on Azure

• 27 September 2019
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +15
I'm trying to move an on-premise environment to an Azure environment using this blog post: https://community.thinkwisesoftware.com/blogs-21/to-the-cloud-leveraging-microsoft-azure-paas-155.
I've deployed the product and IAM databases to an Azure SQL database, and the Web GUI also to an Azure App Service (IIS). This works, but I don't know how to get the images of tasks / filters etc. visible. The help document / blog post isn't very useful for me.

https://office.thinkwisesoftware.com/docs/docs/deployment/web_gui.html#images-are-missing

The blog says this:
Any files that would be on disk will have to be deployed together with the package. This process is a bit like how mobile applications are deployed and how it is currently done by the Web GUI or Indicium developers.
Currently, all files in the application model are files on disk and must be packaged. This would be background pictures, icons and report files.

I have no clue about how to deploy / package those resource files, I cannot find it in the documentation. I'm sure there is somewhere an option the resources can be bundled in the web gui. Anyone any thoughts about this?
icon

Best answer by Erik Brink 1 October 2019, 11:27

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi René,

To make the model images and reports available, you must add these files to the Web GUI files before deploying it to Azure, for example in a model subfolder.

Then you will need to update the (absolute) path in the model to a relative path, using the Relink files task in IAM.

We know this is somewhat cumbersome and are working on a feature to include all model files in the metamodel database. We expect to deliver this feature with the 2020.1 release in January.
Userlevel 5
Badge +15
Unfortunately using a relative path doesn't work. Tried this both on the Azure environment and on a local IIS environment.
I've also tried this on a test project started with SF in stead of IAM, setting the path relative with no result.

This is the dummy task I use:

This is the content of the folder (sandbox is the web gui folder):

If I specify the full path to the IIS folder:
C:\inetpub\wwwroot\sandbox\model\task_generic_add.png

as icon in stead of:
.\model\task_generic_add.png

, it does work.

Are you sure the .\ relative path is allowed to use? Or is the relative path not based on the root folder of the web gui?
Userlevel 5
Badge +5
Hi René,

I have some additions to the post above of Jasper.
Hi René,

To make the model images and reports available, you must add these files to the Web GUI files before deploying it to Azure, for example in a model subfolder.

Then you will need to update the (absolute) path in the model to a relative path, using the Relink files task in IAM.

We know this is somewhat cumbersome and are working on a feature to include all model files in the metamodel database. We expect to deliver this feature with the 2020.1 release in January.

Please replace the directory with resources to the 'App_LocalResources' directory. A web-server like IIS or a Web app in Azure does not allow the web application to read files from the deployment directory accept some marked directory, like the one above.

The specified path in the SF is fine this way. Maybe you should even remove the './' in front.

Kind regards,
Erik
Userlevel 5
Badge +15
Hi René,

I have some additions to the post above of Jasper.

Hi René,

Please replace the directory with resources to the 'App_LocalResources' directory. A web-server like IIS or a Web app in Azure does not allow the web application to read files from the deployment directory accept some marked directory, like the one above.

The specified path in the SF is fine this way. Maybe you should even remove the './' in front.

Kind regards,
Erik

Thanks, that works.

I've moved the folder 'model' from the example I've given above to App_LocalResources, changed the path's to "model" ( in stead of ".\model"), that works both on a local IIS and an Azure App Service.